Skip to main content

About this Show

[untitled]

NETWORK

DURATION
00:30:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel 89 (615 MHz)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
544

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 4, America 2, The City 2, Uc-berkeley 1, The Navy 1, Christopher 1, Sexism 1, Lastly 1, Columbus 1, Denys 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  SFGTV2    [untitled]  

    July 4, 2011
    6:30 - 7:00pm PDT  

6:30pm
more solid job training and actual jobs that could stick with them throughout their high- school educated career, i think it would be better for them as a person because they could take that forward, the education in their life, because if you work somewhere for just six months and are out of a job, that is not really helping you gain valuable skills as opposed to if you live somewhere for two years, you get the chance to grow and expand and seek other opportunities within the organization as opposed to be in one small part, and then you get the boot because there is no more funding for you to actually have a job. if there was more emphasis on work development and training and keeping youth in the work force, that would be good for them in their lives and what they want to get into when they go to college and taking care of themselves and their families. >> [inaudible] constant budget cuts happening in our education system. i can see that the class sizes
6:31pm
are getting bigger and bigger, so pick teachers' pay less attention to individual students. i hope that we can have more funding for education. also, i hope that education can be configured for more student release. some students need to focus on studying, and some other students need more advanced placement classes, i hope that educated students can meet the specific needs of educated students. >> i think the barrier that refers to youth is the environment you live in, the community you grow up in, and the lack of support from, i would say, a leader figure. talking about a teacher, mother, big brother, friend, someone you can look up to. lack of support from them, just the environment you grow up in.
6:32pm
a lot of environments that youth are growing up in now are not what it should be. >> i would say huge barrier would be gender orientation discrimination. there should be more culturally competent training for youth service providers. anyone who works with youth should be adequately trained in order for there to be a better overall community. >> i would say adequate schooling in the juvenile justice system. with teachers also being culturally competent and aware of what students are going through. you have their undivided attention. i know behavior might play a difference, but if they are incarcerated, there are not a lot of parenting programs. those things are taken a way at
6:33pm
a time in their life when all they have to do is think, so i think it would be a good idea to have those. >> adding on to that, the juvenile justice system, i think there should be more of a focus on restorative justice. so you give kids an alternative route and a second chance instead of locking them out or expelling them or suspending them. >> [inaudible] looking at the way the system is structured right now. [inaudible] maybe the way the system is in place right now. ok, any others? >> [inaudible] sometimes we get knowledge from
6:34pm
different people, but it cannot be correct, and we try to get resources from someone, and it is wrong. or we end up playing phone tag with someone. i guess making resources more accessible to us for giving us the type of knowledge we need. >> [inaudible] immigrant students, students who are not from america and what to come out here and be educated and do more with their life. they have so many barriers trying to get a job or trying to come to school in peace without somebody finding out knocking on their door, and it is not a safe environment for them to flourish in, especially if they want to come to school and get an education. they need to be more resources and opportunities catered to the diverse community of people so they can feel like they are part of a community, not an alien. they can know that they can go to school comfortably and believe that our. have a different language
6:35pm
barrier from other people and feel ok about it and not get questions about it. i think they should have more resources catered towards making sure that they are built strong, so as they get older and get into being in the community more, they feel comfortable, feel happy, feel supported, and they do not feel pushed away. net are a certain community of people as opposed to being introduced to everybody in the community. i think that is something that should be addressed. >> [inaudible]
6:36pm
so i hope there are more resources for them. >> it could be resources and information provided to their housing. [inaudible] they could all go somewhere where they all feel comfortable and all get the same resources and knowledge as opposed to having to chronologists and different time eras and where it came from so they can all be on the same page to make it work for us as a whole, not only one person who can go to school. i think that will be a nice way for them to open up as a family, develop a community for where
6:37pm
they live and combat a lot of issues that they have come coming out here and living in america, living in the community. >> another barrier is all the buses, muni. a lot of people might not feel safe. a lot of times -- especially going to the back, a lot of people get intimidated by others. i feel like if there were safer muni rights, people would catch the bus and reach out to other places and go other places. not everybody has a car. not everybody can get a license. >> [inaudible] i know a lot of youth that is young.
6:38pm
not 16 and 24, but well, 13, 14. then, and of those in giving us a lot of trouble, and i think that we should, like, try to educate the youth that is young girl like some type of program that lets them know how important education is. when i got older, i've thought about -- i started knowing how important my education was when i got to high school, and that is too late for some people. we get to the younger, they will not be out there trying to start things and creating drama. they will be trying to do something more positive, like pro-anything that has to do with youth. get them involved at a younger age like 13, 14, 15, like nine, 10, 11, indicating that there so they can work hard year high school, once you pass that, is going to take you somewhere. most that i know -- me personally, i did not really learn until i got to hustle. most people now did not care about the until they get to
6:39pm
sophomore or senior year. like i am about to graduate, and i have to start thinking about college. that is why i think the younger ones are the ones playing with guns. they are not educated enough about how important their life really is. >> [inaudible] folks who have not said anything yet to speak up. [inaudible] how we create some solutions, so what is another challenge? what i will throw out, i think a lot of people mentioned the budget, right? we do not have resources. i think our challenge is the way that our tax system is set up because more low-income people pay a higher percentage of tax than the wealthiest in the country. so i am a firm supporter of
6:40pm
progressive taxation. i think that is one of our challenges in order to create this revenue, right? to fund these programs and services. any other challenges? >> [inaudible] while resources are out there, they might not necessarily have a connection to them. they need to be a lot more work done by schools to make sure students are connected to resources. kind of like a preventative service. a lot of times, action is only taken after something has happened. a lot of what needs to be done to prevent that -- a lot of work needs to be done to prevent that. >> [inaudible] have the perspective of the demographics of the student that is reading literature show they
6:41pm
make more -- make them more interested. lack of financial planning. there needs to be more training in financial planning. also training and educating about the effects of fast food, the effects of how you spend your money and where. >> [inaudible] something that i noticed, too, like, history class is only talk a certain way, the book way, and other people want to learn. in native american and filipino, so i want to learn about that. i do not want to just know about christopher columbus. the one that i was originally going to say was school funding. people keep saying we're going to put more funding into schools, but the funding we are putting into schools is not being proportionate properly. they say we're going to put it into books or give it to this, but it is not really going to that. classes are getting bigger,
6:42pm
teachers are getting less. where's the money going? we need to make funding for schools more proportionate of where it needs to go or have someone in charge of it or something like that. >> [inaudible] >> i just want to say there should be more variety in services. there are a lot of big programs, big services that have sort of become a monopoly in the city. if there were more variety in services in the city, every single youth could be served, and every single youth from every walk of life should be served and paid attention to. i know a lot of people who had been turned away from programs or have not gotten adequate attention because there are just so many people. there should be more services, and again, more funding for them, and different services, too. like i said, variety, so
6:43pm
everybody can be served in an adequate way. >> [inaudible] >> [inaudible] what we're talking about is, like, racism, sexism, and those are all, like, a system of oppression that we see manifesting itself very solidly. we talked about why in history class [inaudible] a lot of times, i did not think people like to name it, and people like to say that racism does not exist anymore, but that is a symptom of the racist society that only one person's culture is being taught. i think, like, in dealing with racism, sexism, ablism and all
6:44pm
the different systems of oppression, i think the first set and addressing that is knowing yourself and knowing if you somehow, like, help for these things, i think we all are raised to do that in a certain way, so it really is where you are personally. >> any other ones? we do think about the root of a lot of these problems, and that is how we can brainstorm even better for the solution afterward, so it is great. >> [inaudible] gang violence. nowadays, you know, gang members are getting younger and younger. there's nothing nobody can do about it.
6:45pm
people do not really want to reach out to them just because they are gang members, i think people should -- i do not know how to say it, but, like teach people that there is a lot more in life and in the world than just gangs and the hood and drugs and what not. so, yeah. >> what i wanted to add on is related to that. one real barrier, too, is that our country is invested in so much war. our country, our government is leading the way i modeling violent behavior, right? truly because that is what we're doing. we are killing people as we speak right now, right? how can you say someone should not be violent when you are currently recruiting people to go kill right now, right? definitely, i think that is one real thing. our investment in war is a huge challenge.
6:46pm
>> another big challenge is trying to get a job when you do not have a diploma or a ged. that is why a lot of youth fall to the streets. them, what else are they going to do? next thing you know, they did not go to school, they cannot get even the simplest jobs because they do not have a diploma. the only thing they are left with is to sell, and a think there should be more jobs to where they will give you a job even if you do not have your diploma or your ged because they still need, like, that resourced and that kind of job skills in order to still go on the right path because if they do not have it, they are just left with nothing. >> any others? we're coming close to our time. >> [inaudible] i think a lot of our programs have been cut.
6:47pm
i do not see a lot of different focus on creative arts and funding for that. >> i think commercials. i know they are, like, a marketing tool, but seeing that kind of impact influence the youth appeared off of that notice through growing up, the mail that i received was from the navy, the marines, the army, but i never received any mail from uc-berkeley, which is closer to me. that tells me in my mind that obviously -- i am a strong individual, but, i mean, if they are indirectly influencing you, what route you go through. also, music losses. creating more halfies and therapy. maybe he could help fight gain
6:48pm
problems and stuff like that. >> [inaudible] whether it be, like, sports, after school programs, or something like that, something for youth to do. every kid wants something to be passionate about, something to be involved in. they do not have that, they could ultimately go on to do lots of other things, possibly detrimental things with their free time. it is important that kids be engaged with something productive that they feel they are good at, that they can contribute to. >> [inaudible] >> definitely needs to be more resources, and kids need to know that they are available out there for them.
6:49pm
>> mind kind of relates to the advertisement. i believe it barrier is kind of like rap music nowadays. has lost its hold meeting. it is always talking about everything that the fans do not have, talking about violence, getting into the wrong things. talking about lives that they tt cannot live them are trying to fantasize about, living in. it does not really lead them anywhere. there is no soul in it really any more. i think that it is a big problem because it really attract a lot of the youth of today, and it is just a bad message. >> i would go even further and add more that rap, it is our pop culture, right? promotes these ideals as positive things, and to be honest, even the name of this come to be completely honest, called winning the future is kind of promoting that competitive.
6:50pm
any others? >> i think financial accessibility. the government providing more funds for youth and for generation people to go to college is one thing that should be approached. a lot of times, people do not have funds to go to university, and they get scared and pushed away because they know that one day, if they do not provide the funds needed, they will have to go into debt, getting all these loans and what not, so i feel like if there was more financial aid or scholarships available, a lot of people would push forward for more education so they could be more productive. >> right on. thank you all very very much. the next part is going to be even more challenging because they will be talking about how
6:51pm
we can brainstorm to have some solutions for these problems, right? so, thank you. >> you guys did a phenomenal job. [inaudible] discussion about solutions. we wanted to give everyone an opportunity to speak. sir denys is going to explain our next activity. >> [inaudible] what you're going to do is write down one solution and one thing you can do. any questions? >> [inaudible]
6:52pm
if anyone needs a sticky, just let me know. look at the very as you have already shouted out, they want, and a solution, or if there is something that did not get of here that you really think is a barrier, a challenge, write that down, an idea or solution or how to go about making that change.
6:53pm
>> [inaudible]
6:54pm
>> [inaudible]
6:55pm
6:56pm
>> [inaudible] >> [inaudible]
6:57pm
government and stuff to support the idea of a family structure. there are a lot of services for youth, children, adults, and stuff, but none centered around just a family, like keeping the family together, and also having the family support their youth, so the children would be able to come to their parents, so parents can tell them to focus on their education and all this stuff. a lot of the challenges just come from parents not being involved in the children's lives. lastly, promoting fatherhood. there is a lot of single moms out there. even just making sure so they know that if they have a kid, that they need to step up and be a parent to their child.
6:58pm
>> [inaudible] start using it on education. i feel like most of the money goes to the military and officers and all that. that is where most of the cuts are happening, and, like,'"8 health and all that -- those essential stuff that people need. also, have a big pool of money where every time somebody wants to create an organization or something to help youth, they will have the ability to create it. >> my main point was to mobilize the youth vote. even though i know many of you guys cannot vote, those ages have one of the lowest turnout rates for voting. compared to older people and
6:59pm
especially those over 60, it really makes a difference because for example, politicians never talk about cutting social security or medicare because they know it would alienate one of the biggest voting platforms, which is older people. if more youth spoke up, they would not cut from education and stuff like that. >> more focus on education, also diversified education for youth. youth.